How ought we to read the Bible?
In this video, N.T. Wright reflects on the way we read the Bible.
Some great highlights:
- The best way to read the Bible: frequently and thoroughly
- We don’t experience symphonies in 10-bar chunks. Why ought we think the Bible can be properly experienced in bite-sized pieces?
- The closer we get to a small window, the greater the panorama we are able to see. We should approach the Bible in the same way so that we see the whole sweep of scripture.
- We easily get engrossed in a novel or a movie for hours at a time. Why then have so few experienced a book of the Bible in one sitting?
- Have you ever wrestled with an entire book, or do you just pull out verses that appeal to you?
There is a lot more good advice in this short piece.